PSG 2-1 Bayer Leverkusen (PSG win 6-1 on agg) | Champions League

Paris Saint-Germain's quest to win a first European Cup moved a step closer as they secured a quarter-final spot with a 6-1 aggregate mauling of Bayer Leverkusen.

Leading 4-0 from the first leg in Germany, it would have taken a huge upset for PSG not to progress and despite a couple of worrying moments, the big-spending French champions did just that with a 2-1 second-leg triumph at the Parc des Princes.

The first scare for Laurent Blanc's men came when Leverkusen took the lead after just six minutes through Sidney Sam, but the home side quickly responded with Marquinhos heading them level just seven minutes later.

PSG nerves would have been tingling again just before the half-hour when Leverkusen won a penalty. A goal then could have made things interesting, even though Leverkusen would still have had plenty to do – but Simon Rolfes saw his spot-kick saved by Salvatore Sirigu and PSG did not look back after that. Ezequiel Lavezzi put them 2-1 ahead at the start of the second half before Leverkusen had Emre Can sent off.

History was against Leverkusen, with only two clubs ever having won a tie in the competition after losing at home in the first leg, while Sami Hyypia's men were also without a win in their previous six matches, five of them lost.

However, the 2002 Champions League finalists were determined not to go down without a fight and they stunned PSG when Sam gave them the lead, the Germany international getting on the end of Giulio Donati's cross to head home at the far post.

PSG, who are still in contention for three trophies, did not take long to hit back though, with Zlatan Ibrahimovic almost inevitably involved. The Swede was unlucky not to score the equaliser himself, the Leverkusen goalkeeper Bernd Leno deflecting his low shot behind with a leg, but from the resulting corner Marquinhos powerfully headed in Yohan Cabaye's centre.

Ibrahimovic then came within inches of putting PSG ahead when his dink over Leno came back off the crossbar. PSG seemed to have recovered from their early setback, but they received further warning Leverkusen were not going to roll over when the visitors won a penalty in the 27th minute for Christophe Jallet's tug on Eren Derdiyok. Sirigu dived to his left to push away Rolfes' spot-kick to effectively end the tie.

PSG made sure the escape was not wasted. Leno denied Cavani before the break but he was powerless to stop Ezequiel Lavezzi slotting in Lucas Digne's cut-back in the 53rd minute, the ball going through a group of players on its way into the net.

Still Leverkusen refused to concede the fight, and Sirigu needed to produce a brilliant save to keep out Gonzalo Castro's shot two minutes later. The visitors' hopes of at least avoiding defeat on the night suffered a major blow in the 68th minute, though, when Can was shown a second yellow card for diving.

Both sides continued to create chances, Derdiyok and the PSG duo Javier Pastore and Adrien Rabiot being denied by the respective keepers, but there was never any doubt who was going through.

Eleven fans were arrested before the last-16 second-leg match. About 40 from each side met in Paris's historic centre in a "short but violent altercation" outside Odeon metro station that left several with minor injuries. Supporters of another German club, Kickers Offenbach, reportedly reinforced the Leverkusen contingent. The groups charged at each other twice, according to a PSG spokesman, and he felt that the clash was "probably pre-arranged", with the presence of fans from another club lending credence to that. He added that nine of those arrested were from the German contingent and two were PSG supporters.

PSG have tried hard to eradicate a long-standing hooligan problem. Two of their supporters died in separate incidents outside Parc des Princes stadium in 2006 and 2010. © 2014 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

About the Author

Comments are closed.