Championship roundup: Charlton draw a blank in José Riga’s first match

• Birmingham City and Burnley share spoils in 3-3 thriller
• Wigan extend good run with 1-0 defeat of Sheffield Wednesday

Charlton Athletic missed the chance to climb off the foot of the Championship but still put in an encouraging display under their new manager, José Riga, in a goalless draw with Huddersfield Town.

Riga appeared to be on a hiding to nothing in front of a Valley crowd unhappy that the club's owner, Roland Duchâtelet, had sacked Chris Powell and replaced him with the Belgian.

Powell left the south London club on Tuesday morning having clashed with Duchâtelet over the club's recruitment policy of bringing in a host of players from Standard Liège and other clubs he owns.

Powell did not name one of those players in his starting lineup for what proved to be his final game in charge, Sunday's FA Cup defeat at Sheffield United. But Riga, a former coach at Standard, immediately called up two of them, the midfielder Astrit Ajdarevic and the striker Reza Ghoochannejhad.

The 56-year-old Riga received only a smattering of applause and a fair few boos the when he strode out of the tunnel. Then when the clock reached three minutes – Powell's shirt number as a Charlton player – the fans began clapping and singing his name for 60 seconds.

Shortly after the ovation had died down, Ajdarevic almost opened the scoring for the hosts with a long-range drive that had Alex Smithies diving at full stretch. However, Charlton's scoring troubles remained, with Michael Morrison and Ghoochannejhad both volleying Johnnie Jackson corners wide and Ajdarevic off target with a header.

In the second half Marvin Sordell was twice sent clean through but scuffed his first effort wide and was denied by Smithies with the second.

Charlton restricted Huddersfield to a few chances from long range, with Ben Hamer keeping out Nahki Wells' effort and also denying Danny Ward and Jonathan Hogg. When Wells did manage to take the ball round Hamer early in the second half, Dorian Dervite had got back in time to clear his angled shot off the line.

At Birmingham City the on-loan Manchester United forward Federico Macheda salvaged a valuable home point for his side with a last-minute equaliser in a 3-3 draw with Burnley. The visitors appeared to have settled the game when Sam Vokes gave them the lead for the third time in the game with an 86th minute goal, only for Macheda to score his second goal of a thrilling encounter.

Despite that disappointment, Burnley at least increased their unbeaten run to seven games to consolidate second place in the Championship.

Wigan Athletic's winning run now stretches to seven matches in all competitions after they beat Sheffield Wednesday thanks to a Jordi Gómez penalty with three minutes remaining. The FA Cup semi-finalists were lacklustre for long periods and would have gone into the break a goal down had Wednesday's Leon Best not had a penalty saved by Ali al-Habsi.

Wigan picked up their game after the break, and were eventually rewarded when Caolan Lavery tripped James Perch inside the penalty area with 87 minutes on the clock. The victory lifts them to seventh place.

Lewis Grabban's 15th goal of the season gave Bournemouth a third straight win as they beat Blackburn Rovers 1-0 away from home. Rovers' hopes of reaching the Championship play-offs this season appear to be diminishing by the game; their latest defeat was the third on the spin in March. © 2014 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

About the Author

Comments are closed.